If you're a Filipino then you would never forget this iconic line, “You’re nothing but a second rate, trying hard copy cat!” Good news is this Pilipino Komiks Serial originally created by fictionist Nerissa Cabral can now be seen on stage, in Musical! This time, the classic story returns as a musical and is given a new twist with stage master Freddie Santos at the helm. Headlining the stage version of Bituing Walang Ningning: The Musical are newcomer Monica Cuenco who plays the role of protagonist Dorina Pineda alongside pop star turned stage actor Mark Bautista (fresh from his stint in London’s “Here Lies Love”) as Nico Escobar, and stage veteran Cris Villonco as Lavinia Arguelles. “Bituing Walang Ningning: The Musical” opened at Newport Performing Arts Theater at Resorts World Manila last June 20 and will run until July 18.
|Dorina and Lavinia during their Grand Finale Performance of Bituing Walang Ningning|
|This scene during that iconic line, “You’re nothing but a second rate, trying hard copy cat!”|
“Resorts World Manila has always been a staunch advocate of the Filipino performing arts,” shared RWM’s Chief Entertainment Officer Colin Kerr. “The dream of staging this iconic Filipino story is a dream come true for RWM. Bituing Walang Ningning’s adaptation into many forms shows its novelty to audiences and we trust that every generation will again fall in love with its story through our theater production,” Kerr added.
Featuring some of the most memorable songs in Original Pilipino Music penned by the legendary Willy Cruz as conducted by Maestro Rodel Colmenar with the Manila Philharmonic Orchestra, Bituing Walang Ningning: The Musical also casts award-winning stage performers Michael Stuart Williams and the First Lady of Philippine Musical Theater Menchu Lauchengco-Yulo, together with reality talent search standout Ronnie Liang and popular TV personality John Nite, among others.
And to give you some previews and maybe Spoilers (just maybe) about this event, here are 11 Highlights which give you reasons to watch Bituing Walang Ningning: The Musical At Resorts World Manila!
11. Scene Stealer Alert - Jon Santos , You should check "Auntie" in each of his dialogues and scenes. Our fave is "Auntie's Patio" Scene!!!
|Jon Santos as Auntie. He's a great performer, ever!|
10. Monica Cuenco's Usahay version is superb! It's like a modern interpretation of this Original Bisaya song.
|photo by PEP.PH|
9. Solo of song, "Kumusta Ka" in Big Boks Scene. We believe Monica should released versions of these OPM Songs.
|Monica during her Big Bok's Scene|
8. Characters Stealer Alert! - Kuya Germs and Edith are the most applauded Characters during and after the play. Now, you should know who to check when you watch Bituing walang Ningning, The Musical!
|Edith of Bituing Walang Ningning, photo by PEP|
7. ZONI Records Launching - There are scenes and dialogues that Audiences should focused during the play.
6. Another Solo at "Germspecially Yours" - Another must seen part!!
|Photo by PEP.PH|
5. "Threesome" Blending - The song, Kay Tagal Kitang Hinintay, belted by Ronnie Liang, Mark Bautista and Monica Cuenco is also the most applauded part of the play. I personally love this!
|[TOP] Monica and Mark Bautisa, playing as Dorina Pineda and Nico Escobar respectively [BOTTOM] Monica and Ronnie Liang|
4. Pangarap Na Bituin Solo - Do you remember Jennifer Lopez during her American Idol performance last March 19? Well, our very own Monica Cuenco who plays Dorina pulled it off! And I mean, she did better than the original (I Think) and very much better from that of Megan Young's version during her GMA7's Sunday All Stars performance!
|This is JLO's performance, just imagine the version of Dorina!!! Woooots!|
|photo by PEP.PH|
3. Grand Finale - Watching the performance of the two main Characters at the end of the play will complete your night! Cris Villonco did very well!
|Bituing Walang Ningning Finale, photo by PEP|
2. Watch It Live - Yes, we all agree that everybody should watch Bituing Walang Ningning: The Musical live At Resorts World Manila, check schedule and tickets below.
|This! Photo by PEP|
1. Monica Cuenco is a humble proud Cebuana! During an exclusive interview, Monica confirmed that her favorite sccene is when She was confronted by her Auntie if that would be the life she wanted. For her, she gave up the fame not just because of Love but strongly because of her Family. Monica did very well in her Dorina Character.
|[TOP ] FaceCebu.Net Blogger with Monica Cuenco playing as Dorina and [BOTTOM] with Chris Villonco playing as Lavinia|
SCHEDULE of Bituing Walang Ningning: The Musical at Resorts World Manila
Every Thursday, Friday, and Saturday at 8PM and
Sundays at 3PM until July 18, 2015
Tickets are now on sale at the Resorts World Manila Box Office at the ground floor of Newport Mall, and in all TicketWorld and TicketNet outlets. Visit www.rwmanila.com or call 908-8000 local 7700; 891-9999; and 911-5555 to buy your tickets to this Filipino musical.
Resorts World Manila (RWM) is the first one-stop, non-stop entertainment and leisure destination in the Philippines that features recreational thrills, world-class performances, unique events, and exciting lifestyle options. Conveniently located across Ninoy Aquino International Airport Terminal 3, RWM is an instant gateway to world-class Philippine hospitality and is home to three international lodging brands, (MAXIMS Hotel, MARRIOTT Hotel Manila, and REMINGTON Hotel) with two more hotels (SHERATON Hotel Manila and HILTON Hotel Manila) currently under construction.
Also home to RWM is The NEWPORT Mall which features international luxury brands, state-of-the-art movie theaters the Newport Cinemas, an award-winning, ultra-modern Newport Performing Arts Theater (NPAT), and a cozy, 24/7 entertainment hub at Bar 360. Dine in one of almost 50 restaurant outlets offering a diverse selection of local and world cuisine, prepared by top Filipino and foreign chefs and paired with a wide selection of the finest wines and popular liquors.
Amp all the thrills offered exclusively by Resorts World Manila by becoming a cardholder! Membership at RWM is free and provides an instant pass to numerous discounts, freebies, and exclusive invites to RWM events.
Resorts World Manila— Nothing Compares.